Friday, July 12, 2013

The Way We Were

Okay, so it's my turn to cover a truth or dare this week. And I was all set to tackle the very embarrassing dare of:

Post a picture of yourself when you were a teenager 

And I will, I promise!

(even though it means showing you the bangs of doom. siiiiigh.) 

BUT, I thought it might be extra fun if I dared some of my fellow Thirteeners to join me. So here are the hilarious--and somewhat humiliating--results!

First up: me! (oy)

And since this is technically my week, I figured I should have to share double the humiliation. So here you go--teen Shannon, ugly shorts, bad bangs and all:

 

I don't remember buying those shorts--but there's the photographic evidence....

And the one on the right is um... I guess my "sexy" look? It's especially effective with the giant stuffed bear in the background... (Also don't ask me why I'm holding my friend's leg. I have no idea...)

MOVING ON. 

Next up, Erin Bowman (author of TAKEN and FROZEN) shows us her adorable monkey face:


And Natalie Whipple (author of TRANSPARENT and HOUSE OF IVY & SORROW) shows us her natural hair color (which is way prettier than mine, btw):


Renee Collins (author of RELIC) shows us what a science geek she was: (and um, I DON'T want to know what's in that net)


And Megan Hansen Shepherd (author of THE MADMAN'S DAUGHTER and HER DARK CURIOSITY) shows us her wild side (she's the one on the right--RAWRR):


Jenn Johansson (author of INSOMNIA) shows us her love for musical theater--and blonde wigs! (she's the one at the top of the pyramid):


And Brandy Colbert (author of POINTE) challenges Jenn to a battle of sequined dance costumes:


Alexandra Duncan (author of SALVAGE) shows us that sometimes you do marry your high school prom date (no really, that's her husband next to her. Say it with me: awwwwwwwww)


And Ellen Oh (author of PROPHECY and WARRIOR) rocks the ducktail cut. (well, I *believe* the haircut has a slightly less kid-friendly name. But I also write middle grade, so we're going with ducktail!) Apparently there's a whole party in the back we can't see:


And last--but certainly not least--Mindy McGinnis (author of NOT A DROP TO DRINK) proves that she's the bravest of us all:


I actually have equally awkward photos to rival this one of Mindy. But the dare said "teenager" and I was twelve, SO I AM TAKING THE LOOPHOLE AND RUNNING WITH IT!!!

Oh teenagedom--how DID we survive you?

___________________________________________________________________

Shannon Messenger graduated from the USC School of Cinematic Arts, where she learned--among other things--that she liked watching movies much better than making them. So she left LA and moved to suburbia where she would have time to eat too many cupcakes, own too many cats, and write lots and lots of books. LET THE SKY FALL is her first young adult novel, published in Spring 2013 by Simon Pulse. She is also the author of KEEPER OF THE LOST CITIES, book one in a middle grade series published by S&S Aladdin. Find her online at shannonmessenger.com.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, you brave souls. No, they really aren't that back- but quite fun. ^.^ It's neat seeing how we ALL have "those pictures", even our favorite authors. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am convinced that Erin has the BEST photo.

    But y'all are all brave for showing those pictures :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between this and my Anderson's shot, I am clearly queen of ridiculous faces. :P

      Delete
  3. Awww, but you all were and are so cute! I've got my fair share of awkward teenage photos. And probably more to come. My friends loveeeee taking candid pictures of me.

    I APPLAUD YOUR BRAVERY! But not Elle's. Or April's. Or Kasie's. *nudge nudge*

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha Shannon, they're little fish. Virgin River chubs and woundfins. This was on a trip I took with my Zoology class. We used a big seining net to pull up and catalog the various species.

    (TOLD you I was a science nerd. ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omigod you were all so adorable! I think this is one of my favorite Thirteeners posts ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Slow clap...for all. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, this is just happiness for all. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love looking back at teen photos. It's funny how we all thought we were so cool and then you look back and um... maybe not. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahahaha...this post...just wow. We are brave souls. ;-)

    ReplyDelete